Monday, November 11, 2013

South Cave and the Petfield Family

http://petfieldfamilyarchives.blogspot.com.au

There are early records of Petfields from 1541 in Yaxley, Essex, in Tetney, Linconshire in 1562, in Nottinghamshire in 1592, in London in 1625 and in South Cave from 1675.  Many records are either lost or yet to be found.

To say that William Petfield who married Mary Wollas in 1763 is the many many times Grandfather of thousands is very true. We do however have an unbroken line of Petfields from William and Mary Petfield so the emphasis of this Petfield blog is down the William Petfield & Mary Wollas line, Mathew Petfield & Ruth Jackson line, John Petfield & Mary Clark line, Edward Petfield and Mary Mason line, George Petfield and Emily Brighouse line, Allan Petfield & Winsome Macdougall line to me!

South Cave - a market village community in the 18th and 19th centuries.


The village of South Cave lies eleven miles west of the centre of Hull and eight miles south-west of Beverley in the county of Humberside.  The settlement consists of two distinct district parts known as West End and Market Place.  The 1801 Census gives the population of South Cave as 707 and there were 134 houses.

The farming and trading communities of Cave produced many long resident families during this period and research among the parish records and census returns has enabled the compilers of this study to reconstruct a number of genealogies of families who remained some generations in the village.  The 1672 Hearth Tax returns give the first almost complete lists of heads of households and a comparison of the names given there with those in the Census Enumerators Returns 1841 -1871 reveals a dozen families that apparently remained in the village during the two centuries in question.  Out of these it has been possible to trace eight with some continuity back from the mid to 19th century to the beginning of the 18th century or earlier. Those families are the Marshalls, Levetts, Gardhams, Langricks, Crosbys, Tindalls, Petfields and Waudbys.

The last two continued to be represented throughout the 19th century and into the present period, the first by the Gibson family of Joiners and the second by the generations of Waudby as Tailors and Farmers.  Other trading families who established village dynasties from the early 19th century were the Donkins as Carriers, the Thornhams as Shoemakers, the Leakes as Butchers, the Goodwills as Builders and the Cousens as Plumbers and Cabinetmakers.  In the book "South Cave" published in 1974 by the South Cave Branch of the Workers Educational Association, the Petfield family is listed as one of the principal family names of the village during the 18th and 19th centuries.

South Cave was an agricultural and market community and supported numerous tradesmen and craftsmen.  The majority being in some way concerned with the servicing and supplying of agriculture and the processing of produce.  The village usually supported three Blacksmiths, two Saddlers and a Wheelwright.  One of the Blacksmiths developed in the 18th century into the iron foundry of Petfield and Farthing (William Petfield and Robert Farthing) in 1867, sited at the entrance to Beverley Road.  The foundry produced ploughs and other agricultural implements which have been reported as being used as far away as the Birmingham area. It was dissolved in 1886.

The oldest reference to a market at South Cave is dated 1156, over a century before the granting of a charter in 1291 by Edward 1 "to the Master and Brethren of the Knights Templers in England, and their successors, for a market on Monday in every week at the Manor of South Kave; and one fair there every year for four days namely, on the eve, day and morrow of the Holy Trinity, and one day following".  Other charters in the 14th and 15th centuries confirmed this grant.  The market that survivied until the mid 19th century and the fair which lasted even later, are factors in the village history, which have been of great importance in determining its particular character.

Hull


In the words of Mathew Petfield (1836 - 1916) "All Petfields, came from Hull". True or not we may never know, we do know however that some of the family lived in the vicinity of Hull for centuries.  Hull officially called Kingston upon Hull, as in 1243 Edward 1 acquired the trading settlement of Wyke at the junction of the Hull and Humber rivers.  Edward 1 renamed the town Kingston Upon Hull.  It was used specifically as a port for north-eastern England.  The port now extends for 11 kilometers along the north bank of the Humber Estuary, which empties into the North Sea.  The Humber River is about 40 miles (64 kilometers) long and large ships can navigate its waters.  When the Norsemen invaded England during the 800s and 900s they sailed their boats up the river Humber.  Hull is a large industrial port and the small village of Anlaby where William lived is now more like a suburb of Hull.

Religion in South Cave


In 1086, Cave was the chief manor of the hundred, or subdivision of the county, of the same name, held by Robert Malet, Baron of Eye, and had a working population of 30 villeins.  On the manor were the sites of two water mills, a church and a priest.  The church most probably stood in the same position as the present one, though no vestiges remain of the original church and the house of the villeins clustered around. Further settlement developed to the east of the church at the point where the road from Hull to the West Riding crossed the Roman road leading from Brough to York and Malton.

Though there is no evidence to confirm the foundation date given as 1662 on the present United Reform Church at West End.  It is known that by 1672 a certain Rev.James Bayock was serving a Presbyterian meeting in the village.  In 1710 the houses of John Chappelow and Mathew Eppingham were licensed as Independent meeting places and it is said that in 1715 the body had 400 members.  The first chapel appears to have been erected on the present site by 1730.  In 1764 the Vicar of South Cave noted that some 60 or 70 people assembled every Sunday at the meetinghouse, where a Mr.Ellis from Hull instructed them.  Later in the 18th century the meeting altered from Presbyterian to Congregational and continued in a flourishing state, restoring the chapel and building a minister's residence, until a decline set in during the early years of the 19th century.

As one would expect in a market community there was much independence of thought and action, not least on religious matters and it is not surprising that during the middle decades of the 17th century, an independent congregation was established in South Cave.  On Sunday 30 March 1851 a national census was taken of the members attending places of worship.  The result which revealed that only half the population went to church or chapel, was a shock and humilitation to the Victorian Christians in general, and to the Anglican in particular when the high proportion of non-conformists was known.  The returns for South Cave were fairly typical: Attendence on Sunday  30 March 1851.
Parish Church with 250 people, Wesleyan Chapel with 230 (70 free) people, Primitive Methodist 112 (30 free)people, Independnent West End Chapel 95 people.

Methodism was not slow in establishing itself in the village after its initial impact in the country in the 1750s, for in 1782 the house of George Turner was certified as a meeting place for the "people called Methodist". South Cave had not received a visit from John Wesley, but the villagers had an opportunity of seeing and hearing the great man when he preached at North Cave in July 1761.  The former Wesleyan chapel in Church Street, now unfortunately converted into a garage, was erected in 1816 on a piece of land given by Barnard Clarkson of "Holme House", Holme on Spalding Moor, a banker and member of the country's most prestigious Methodist family. The society was not large, althrough there was a rival of interest in 1826 and the years following.  There were only some 23 members in 1842.

Primitive Methodists appeared at South Cave shortly after the opening of the Wesleyan Chapel when in 1819 William Clowes, the great evangelist of the East Riding, began his preaching tours in the area.  The Primitives or Ranters were followers of a group of Methodists who had been disowned by the main Wesleyan body because of their irregular meetings and "enthusiasm", a factor noticeable in the memoir of Clowes.  In 1837 a chapel was built behind two cottages in Church Stereet.  The Chapel and cottages were pulled down in 1876 and a commodious chapel, with school room and vestries erected on the same site at a cost of about 600 pounds.


 Our family - past and present.


It seems that we descend from working class families of the 1700s.  Prior to this time it is not compulsory to record marriages or births and unless the persons were famous or infamous, little will be known.  Of riches and fame prior to the family coming to Australia none has been found.  They were Gardeners, Builders and Blacksmiths with the odd Farmer and Fisherman.  Many had large families though sickness would take many children and loved ones before their time.  Education was given to few in those times and it seems that most were content to learn the skills of their parents and follow in those occupations.  Many of the family especially in the later generations were community minded and their "unpaid effort" is well documented.

The family of today is one with many skills and occupations.  Some of today's generation still follow the building tradition while many more have diversified into numerous professions.  Many family members have attained the highest levels in their chosen careers, no doubt due to the advantage of a better education and the opportunity to choose their career.

Not only within the workplace have many changes taken place.  The family today is made up of many cultures and religious beliefs.  Their lifestyles vary from city to country and spare time is devoted to many activities. For the life we live now and the enjoyment of it, we must thank those who came before us, especially those who made the decision to come to this land of Australia.

Visit to England in 2007.


Joy (nee Petfield) and Peter Olney visited England in 2007, with a particular interest of going to the various villages where our ancestors had lived. Joy was not researching the family tree as such as she had already done that, but more interested in finding the Churches where ancestors were married and babies christened, or graveyards to find tombstones. We did find some homes and even went inside to meet the present owners.

As we travelled through Earl's Colne we discovered that a John Petfield (died 1562) was the Vicar at St.Andrews Anglican Church in Earl's Colne. I have not been able to find where he fits into the family tree but it was interesting to find a Petfield Vicar and worth a photo!


St.Andrew's Church in Earl's Colne where Vicar John Petfield died 1562.
I acknowledge and give credit to Bruce Petfield for his work and contributions on the U.K. Petfields, to Glen Petfield for his work on the book "The Australian Petfield Family 1888 - 1999" and to Anne Moutrie for all her family research.

These blogs have been written by Joy Olney as another way of sharing the Petfield family history with those interested.  They do not cover all branches.  My interest primarily is with my direct line from William and Mary Petfield.

If you wish to contact the author of this blog with any corrections please email Joy Olney (nee Petfield) - joyolney@gmail

Friday, November 8, 2013

William & Mary (Wollas) Petfield

http://petfieldfamilyarchives.blogspot.com.au

William Petfield is said to have come from Anlaby, a small village near Hull on the East Coast of Yorkshire, England.

William Petfield married Mary Wollas at Brantingham, Yorkshire, England in 1763.


"All Saints" Brantingham Parish Church where William Petfield and Mary Wollas married in 1763.
Peter & Joy Olney outside Brantingham Parish Church in 2007.


This family tree chart is by courtesy of Bruce Petfield in UK. Its reproduction is not perfect, but does help to confirm the information below.

William & Mary (Wollas) Petfield had eight children:
John Petfield (1764 - 1764), William Petfield (born 1765), John Petfield (1767 - 1811), Mary Petfield (born 1769), George Petfield (1771 - 1860), Joseph Petfield (1773 - 1824), Matthew Petfield (1775 - 1855), Ann Petfield (1780 - 1855).  The first seven children were christened at South Cave near Hull in Yorkshire. Ann was christened at Swanlan Independent.

Most of the current families with the surname of Petfield are descended from George and Mathew Petfield. (note there is a confusion on how to spell Mathew or Matthew).

George Petfield (1771 - 1860) married Lydia Pickrin (1796 - 1809) and had six children.  He then married Martha Jackson in 1810 and they had fourteen children, a total of twenty "Petfields" added to the family, although many unfortunately died. Martha Jackson's sister Ruth Jackson married Mathew Petfield in 1803.

George and Lydia (Pickrin) Petfield's 6 children -
Mary Petfield (1798 - 1798), John Petfield (1799 - 1891, married Mary Bilton), George Petfield (born 1802, married Elizabeth 1839), Hannah Petfield (1804 - 1805), Margaret Petfield (1806 - 1807), William Petfield (1808 - 1808).

George and Martha (Jackson) Petfield's 14 children -
William Petfield (1811 - 1812), Joseph Petfield (1812 - 1812), Jackson Petfield (1815 - 1913), Joseph Petfield (1816 - 1854), Rebekah Petfield ( born 1818), William Petfield (1820 - 1892), James Petfield (1822 - 1822), James Petfield (1823 - died infant), Robert Petfield (1826 - 1894), Henry (Harry) Petfield (born 1828), Elizabeth Petfield (1830 - 1911), Mary Jane Petfield (1832 - 1835), Edward Petfield (1835 - 1875), Matthew Petfield (1836 - 1929).


Mathew Petfield (1775 - 1855) and Ruth (Jackson) Petfield's ten children -
Mary Petfield (born 1805, married 1830), William Petfield (1807 - 1873), Elizabeth Petfield (1809 - 1827), Ann Petfield (1811 - 1871), John Petfield (1814 - 1881), Jane Petfield (born 1815, married 1842), Maria (Martha) Petfield (1818 - 1818), George Petfield (1820 - 1869), Charles Petfield (1824 - 1871), Mathew Petfield (1826 - 1853 found drowned).

John Petfield (1814 - 1881) was the father of Edward Petfield (1850 - 1881), the first Australian to settle in Australia in 1888. Much of the material in this blog has been documented in the book "The Australian Petfield Family 1888 - 1999" by Glen Petfield in 1999.

 

Incidental trivia about the family of William and Mary Petfield, their son George Petfield and wives Lydia & Martha.

William and Mary Petfield's 8th child Ann Petfield (1780 - 1855) and William Thornham, a shoemaker, had a daughter Martha Thornham (1819 - 1889) who married William Petfield (1820 - 1892), the 6th child of George and Martha Jackson. Thus Martha Thornham married her first cousin.  William is described in the marriage record as a Joiner, son of George, Joiner.

From appendix V111 in extracts of Parish Registers of South Dalton 1838, a Mr. George Petfield, a Joiner, kept an account book and there is mention of a funeral of Mr.John Robertson.  The funeral procession was led by Mr.Hotham and the Vicar, two doctors, the undertakers Petfield and Chafer, 8 church ministers as pall bearers, two mutes with staffs, the herse and 3 morning coaches with 4 horses each.  Among the items of charge in the account was a silver breastplate at a cost of 3 pound 10 shillings.  (Probably the George Petfield who married Martha Jackson).

A George Petfield was assessed at a penny in the pound for church repairs.  His assessment was one and three-quarters.Church taxes were not always popular.  (Was this the same George?).

John Petfield (1799 - 1891), the 2nd child of George and Lydia Petfield married Mary Bilton. They made their home in Hessle, Yorkshire. John was a Master Blacksmith and they had eleven children. Son Peter Petfield (1833 - 1898) followed in his father's footsteps and became the village blacksmith. Peter never married, his sister Clara Jane (1842 - 1912) became his housekeeper.

Jackson Petfield (1815 - 1913), the 3rd child of George and Martha Petfield married Mary Goodburn in 1841  at Brockleby.  Mary died in 1848. Jackson subsequently married Phebe Stephens in 1860 however no descendants have been found to date.  Jackson was a gardener and was looked upon as a great authority on horticultural matters. His services were much sought after as a judge at horticultural exhibitions.  He retained his faculties to the last and died aged 99.
Rev.Bruce Le Gay Petfield recalls a newspaper item just after the was, when Laurence Petfield of the Buck Inn in the Yorkshire Dales was refusing to shave off his beard until the then Labour Government was replaced.  Laurence was the son of Jackson Petfield.

Robert Petfield (1826 - 1894), the 9th child of George and Martha Petfield was listed in the 1851 Census as a Gardener, age 25, living with his parents in Anlaby.  Sometime between 1851 and 1870 he married and moved to Bedford near Saint Neots in Huntingdonshire.  The epitaph on his headstone reads, "He lies near the garden that was his pride for forty years".  Robert's son George Petfield (1870 - 1950) married Mabel Dockendorf in 1898 in USA and so the Petfield family continued to multiply in USA.

Mathew Petfield (1836 - 1929), the 14th child of George and Martha Petfield married Mary Galligan in 1866 in USA. A descendant of Mathew Petfield, Edward W.McGovern has been active in researching the Petfield family in USA.

Henry (Harry) Petfield (born 1828), the 10th child of George and Martha Petfield was head bookkeeper at the Humber Bank Foundry also described as a Gas Manager and secretary to the Gas Company. Henry Petfield (1828) was the great grandfather of Bruce Le Gay Petfield.  Henry Petfield married Jane Lea Rudd in 1861 and named his son Henry Le Gay Petfield born 1862 after Charles Le Gay Brereton who married his sister Elizabeth Petfield. Now we have the introduction of the Le Gay Petfield family. Henry and Mary Frances Carr married 1890 and Herbert Le Gay Petfield was born in 1891.  Herbert Le Gay Petfield married Margaret Simpson in 1919 and their son Bruce Le Gay Petfield was born at 14 Southgate Ave, Ripon, England.  


14 Southgate Ave, Ripon where Bruce Le Gay Petfield was born. Photo taken 2007.
Edward (Ned) Petfield (1835 - 1875), the 13th child of George and Martha Petfield, served in the Army in the Crimean War (1854 - 1856) and in India during the Indian Mutiny (1857).  The 1851 Census show him age 16 living at home with his parents in Anlaby.
In 1861 Edward aged 26 was lodging at 16 Stubbin Street, Hull at the house of Mary Taylor and her daughter aged 28.  Annie Petfield Taylor was born on 20 May 1866.
Edward married his cousin Charles Petfield's widow Anne Petfield (nee Fenton) in 1873. Charles (1824 - 1871) was the son of Matthew and Ruth Petfield. The marriage between Edward and Anne only lasted a year because Edward died in 1875. His death certificate shows that he died in Hessle Road, Hull, at age of 40 years of apoplexy, and was described as an Engineers Clerk. Edward lived in Dairycotes before his death and family recollections ascribe to an encounter with a deranged person or a "fanatic". 
Louise (1866 - 1944), a child of Charles Petfield (1824 - 1861) and Anne Fenton, and one of Edward Petfield's step daughters, is responsible for the preservation of Matthew and Ruth Petfield's family Bible.  This family Bible was passed on to Bruce Le Gay Petfield, who in 2007 passed it onto Glen Petfield in Australia.


Matthew and Ruth Petfield's family Bible.

Matthew & Ruth Petfield's Family Bible passed down to Bruce Le Gay Petfield, who in 2007 passed it onto Glen Petfield.

Matthew and Ruth Petfield married 24 November 1803.  Children - Mary born 16 April 1805, William 20 August 1807, Elizabeth born 16 March 1809 died 14 August 1827 18 years, Ann born 7 November 1811, John born 3 December 1873, Jane born 25 September 1815, Maria born 12 January 1818 died 13 November 1818, George born 29 March 1820, Charles born 21 April 1824 died September 1871, Matthew born 27 June 1826 drowned 7 October 1853 27 years. Mathew died 11 November 1855. Ruth died5 December 1860.

In 2007 Peter and Joy Olney (nee Petfield) spent the day with Bruce LeGay Petfield, visiting Brantingham, South Cave, Hessle and Kirk Ella, Yorkshire where our Petfield ancestors came from more than 200 years ago.


Louisa Petfield (1866 - 1944) who preserved Matthew and Ruth Petfield's family Bible married Edward Coates. Their old Draper's shop is now a Florist at 1 Northgate, Hessle.


Louise and Edward Coates old Draper's shop 1 Northgate Hessle, next door to the Bakers.


All Saints Church at South Cave where Margaret Gibson and her children Samuel & Elizabeth are buried.

In memory of Margaret the wife of William Gibson of this place who died June 13th 1862, aged 56 years.  Also Samuel, son of the above, who died in infancy.  Also Elizabeth daughter of the above who died August 6th 1858, aged 12 years.  Her end was peace.  "Set your affections on things above, and not on things on the earth".


In loving memory of Harriett widow of the late George Petfield of South Cave was departed this life January 21st 1885 in her 79th year. "There the weary be at rest" Job 3 chap 17 verse. Harriett is buried at South Cave Cemetery.


Home of George & Harriett Petfield at 31 West End, South Cave.

George and Lydia (Pickrin) Petfield's second child John Petfield married Mary Bilton (1805 - 31 December 1877). The story is that John Petfield the Blacksmith wanted to buy the Baker's shop opposite.  The Baker won, and put the "Grinning face" on the arch of the gateway to his Bakery as a daily reminder to the Blacksmith!


The Baker's "Grinning Face" opposite John Petfield's Blacksmith business.

The Baker's "Grinning face".

John Petfield's Blacksmith business in Northgate Hessle, opposite the Baker's "Grinning Face".


John and Mary (Bilton) Petfield had 4 children - Peter Petfield (born 1833), Thomas Robinson Petfield (born 29 March 1835), Emily Petfield (born 1840), Clara Petfield (born 1842).  Below are their Headstones found in Hessle Cemetery.

Church at Hessle where John and Mary Petfield and their children are buried.

In loving memory of Mary the beloved wife of John Petfield, died December 31st 1877, aged 73 years. Also of the above named John Petfield who died February 18th 1891, aged 91 years. Also of Peter son of the above who died July 25th 1898, aged 64 years.  "Thy Will be done".

In loving memory of Emily wife of William Warley who died December 31st 1874, aged 34 years.  Also of John William their son who died in infancy.  "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord".  Also of Clara Jane Petfield, sister of the above who died June 23rd 1912, aged 69 years. "Thy Will be done".

I acknowledge and give credit to Bruce Petfield for his work and contributions on the U.K. Petfields, to Glen Petfield for his work on the book "The Australian Petfield Family 1888 - 1999" and to Anne Moutrie for all her family research.

These blogs have been written by Joy Olney as another way of sharing the Petfield fasmily history with those interested.  They do not cover all branches.  My interest primarily is with my direct line from William and Mary Petfield.

If you have any corrections or wish to contact the author of this blog please email Joy Olney (nee Petfield) - joyolney@gmail.com

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Matthew & Ruth (Jackson) Petfield

http://petfieldfamilyarchives.blogspot.com.au

Matthew Petfield was born at South Cave on 22 July 1775.

His parents were William Petfield and Mary Wollas who married at Brantingham near Hull on the East Coast of Yorkshire, England in 1763.

Matthew married Ruth Jackson (born 2 March 1783) at Kirk Ella, Yorkshire, England in 1803.


This family tree chart is by courtesy of Bruce Petfield in UK.  Its reproduction is not perfect, but helps to confirm the information below.

Matthew and Ruth had ten children -
Mary Petfield (born 1805 married 1830), William Petfield (1807 - 1873), Elizabeth Petfield (1809 - 1827), Ann Petfield (1811 - 1871), John Petfield (1814 - 1881), Jane Petfield (born 1815 married 1842), Maria (Martha) Petfield (1818 - 1818), George Petfield (1820 - 1869), Charles Petfield (1824 - 1871), Mathew Petfield (1826 - 1853 found drowned).


The Last Will and Testament of Matthew Petfield

 The Last Will of Matthew Petfield written 14 June 1851. Benefactors were wife Ruth Petfield, daughters Mary Thornton, Ann Jackson and Jane Oxtoby, also sons Charles and Mathew Petfield.
Matthew Petfield died 11 October 1855 and Ruth Petfield died 5 December 1860.

It is interesting to note that Matthew has been spelt with one "T" or  double "TT".  In his Will above it has just one "T" but this not an original document.  In his family Bible below he has spelt his name with double "TT" . His headstone has a double "TT".  I will use a double "TT".


In 2007 Peter and Joy Olney (nee Petfield) visited Bruce Le Gay Petfield who showed us around Brantingham, Hessle, Kirk Ella and South Cave where our Petfield ancestors came from more than 200 years ago.

Peter & Joy Olney, Bruce Petfield and Hazel Ford having lunch at Wheatsheath Pub.

Joy Olney at Matthew & Ruth Petfield's gravestone at Kirk Ella Churchyard.

Sacred to the memory of Matthew Petfield (of Anlaby)  who departed this life October 11th 1855, aged 80 years.  Also Ruth, relict of the above who departed this life December 5th 1860, aged 77 years.

Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth, the beloved daughter of Mathew and Ruth Petfield of Anlaby, who departed this life August 14th 1827, aged 18 years.  In the midst of life we are in death. Also Mathew, their son who departed this life October 4th 1853, aged 27 years. What though the blooming youth is fled yet stay your mournful tears.  He from a thousand pangs is freed you from a thousand fears. Also Maria who died in her infancy.


In affectionate remembrance of George Petfield who died November 8th 1869, aged 49 years.

Charles Petfield (1824 - 1871) a son of Matthew and Ruth Petfield married Anne Fenton. Their daughter Louise (1866 - 1944) passed Matthew and Ruth Petfield's family Bible onto Bruce Le Gay Petfield, who in 2007 passed it onto Glen Petfield in Australia. Glen made a sealed glass box to store this precious piece of memorabilia.

Matthew and Ruth Petfield's family Bible.


Matthew and Ruth Petfield's family Bible.

Matthew Petfield's family Bible.

Matthew and Ruth Petfield's family Bible showing the names and birth dates of their children.

Matthew and Ruth Petfield's family Bible showing birth dates of their children. Mary born 16 April 1805, William born 20 August 1807, Elizabeth born 16 March 1809 died 14 August 1827 18 years, Ann born 7 November 1811, John born 3 December 1873, Jane born 25 September 1815, Maria born 12 January 1818 died 13 November 1818, George 29 March 1820, Charles 21 April 1824 died September 1871, Matthew born 27 June 1826 drowned 7 October 1853 27 years.
 Matthew Petfield died 11 November 1855, Ruth Petfield died 5 December 1860.

Louise Petfield married Edward Coates in 1899. Their Draper's shop was at 1 Northgate, Hessle - now a Florist.

I acknowledge and give credit to the work and contributions of Bruce Petfield on the U.K. Petfields, to Glen Petfield for his work on the book "The Australian Petfield Family 1888 - 1999" ans to Anne Moutrie for all her family research.

These blogs have been written by Joy Olney as another way of sharing the Petfield family history with those interested.  They do not cover all branches.  My interest primarily is with my direct line from William and Mary Petfield.

If you have any corrections or wish to contact the author of this blog please email Joy Olney (nee Petfield) - joyolney@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

John & Mary (Clark) Petfield

http://petfieldfamilyarchives.blogspot.com.au 

John Petfield, born at Hessle by Hull, Yorkshire, England on 3 December 1813 and baptised 2 January 1814. 

John's parents Mathew Petfield (1773-1855) and Ruth Jackson (1783 - 1860) married 1803.

John had  9 siblings - Mary Petfield (born 1805 married 1830), William Petfield (1807 - 1873), Elizabeth Petfield (1809 - 1827), Ann Petfield (1811 - 1871), Jane Petfield (born 1815 married 1842), Maria (Martha) Petfield (1818 - 1818), George Petfield (1820 - 1869), Charles Petfield (1824 - 1871), Mathew Petfield (1826 - 1853 found drowned).

John Petfield married Mary Clark (christened 1 January 1815) at North Ferriby in 1837. Mary was the 4th child of George Clark and Elizabeth Guy who were married at Hessle By Hull, Yorkshire on 24 November 1804. Mary Clark was born at Hessle By Hull, Yorkshire. Her siblings were John Clark (christened 21 July 1805), Ann Clark (christened 17 May 1807), George Clark (christened 16 July 1809).

John and Mary (Clark) Petfield had thirteen children -  Fanny Petfield (born 1837), Henrietta Castle Petfield (born 1839), George Petfield (1841 - 1842), Mary Petfield (1842 - 1843) William Petfield (born 1845), Benjamin Petfield (born 1847), Jackson Petfield (born 1849), Edward Petfield (born 1850), Elizabeth Petfield (1853 - 1853), Jane Petfield (1853 - 1853), Ruth Petfield (1853 - 1853), Mathew Petfield (1854 - 1857), Ada Petfield (born 1856).
 
John and Mary Petfield's Family Bible with the names of their 13 children.

George died 1842, Mary died 1843, both only 1 year old.  On 3 January 1853 triplets Elizabeth, Jane and Ruth were born at the back of 77 Hermitage Street, Eccleshall, near Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.  Sadly the triplets did not survive their first year and died in 1853. On 13 May 1854 Mathew was born and died in 1857. Mary had her last child, Ada, in 1856.  19 years of childbearing.

John and Mary Petfield moved to Sculcoates, a suburb of Hull, Yorkshire where their first four children were born at Roper Street, Hull. The family moved to Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire where another three children were born. In 1850 John moved his family to the larger industrial city of Sheffield, Yorkshire where he settled down to ply his trade as a Wheelwright and establish a business in Mobray Street, Sheffield. John and Mary had another six children while living in Sheffield. 

In the 1841 English Census for Anlaby, Mary Petfield is shown as aged 25 with Fanny 3, Henrietta 1 and George 4 months.  No mention is made of her husband John Petfield.  It is believed this is because John was a Wheelwright (journeyman) and was probably away in search of work at the time.  In the 1851 Census for Anlaby a George Clark is shown as a retired farmer aged 71 living at 86 with two grand daughters, Fanny and Elizabeth and a farm servant James Catton of Hessle.  Fanny would have been 13 years at the time and most likely left with her cousin Elizabeth to help her Grandfather.

Notices in the "Times" on 8 February 1862 reported the bankruptcy of John Petfield, Wheelwright of Sheffield.

John Petfield lived in Sheffield until his last days in 1881 whilst living with his son Edward (born 1850). Edward and Mary (Mason) Petfield arrived in Australia on 3 January 1888.

Peter and Joy Olney (nee Petfield) spent the day in Kirk Ella, Brantingham, Hessle and South Cave with Bruce Le Gay Petfield in 2007.

Church at Hessle, Yorkshire.  John Petfield was born on.3 December 1813 and christened on 2 January 1814 at Hessle. George Clark and Elizabeth Guy were married at Hessle on 24 November 1804.

Mary (Clark) Petfield's parents - George Clark (1780 - 31 October 1854) married Elizabeth Guy (1783 - 1 October 1846) on 24 November 1804 at Hessle.  Both are buried at 164/165 Kirk Ella Church graveyard, together with George's parents John Clark (1751 - 11 January 1827) and Jane Clark (1755 - 19 November 1822).

St Andrews Church at Kirk Ella, Yorkshire.

Joy (and Peter) Olney taking down details of George & Elizabeth Clark's headstone and George's parents John & Jane Clark's headsotne at Plot 164/165 in Kirk Ella Graveyard.

In memory of Jane Clark of Kirk Ella who departed this life 19th of November 1822 aged 67 years.  Also of John Clark who died 11th of January 1827 in the 77th year of his age.  Also of Elizabeth daughter in law of the above named John Clark and wife of George Clark of Analaby who died October 1st 1846.  Aged 63 years.  And of the abovenamed George Clark who died October 31st 1854.  Aged 75 years.
Also in Kirk Ella Church graveyard is the headstone of Jane Clark (1820 - 18 April 1871) who married Robert Wiles (1820 - ?).  Jane (Clark) Wiles was the daughter of George & Elizabeth Clark and sister of Mary (Clark) Petfield.

In affectionate rememberance of Jane, the beloved wife of Robert Wiles of Derringham Bank, who died April 18th 1871.  Aged 51 years.  Patient and meek ? ? and why! Because her faith and hope were fixed on God.  Also Alfred William, son of the above, who died May 2nd 1875.  Aged 20 years.  His aching head is at rest.

I acknowledge and give credit to the work and contributions of Bruce Petfield on the U.K. Petfields, to Glen Petfield on his work with the book "The Australian Petfield Family 1888 - 1999" and to Anne Moutrie for all her family research.

These blogs have been written by Joy Olney as another way of sharing the Petfield family history with those interested.  They do not cover all branches.  My interest primarily is with my direct line from William and Mary Petfield.

If you have any corrections or wish to contact the author of this Blog please email Joy Olney (nee Petfield) - joyolney@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Edward & Mary (Mason) Petfield

http://petfieldfamilyarchives.blogspot.com.au

 
John & Mary Petfield's Family Bible showing Edward's birth 5 June 1850

Birth Certificate of Edward Petfield 5 June 1850.



Marriage Certificate of Edward Petfield and Mary Mason 1 April 1872.


Edward Petfield (born 5 June 1850) in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England married Mary Mason (born 24 August 1851), also from Sheffield.  Edward and Mary married 1 April 1872 in Pye Bank Methodist Chapel, Sheffield, England.

They had 8 children:
John Mason Petfield (born 14 June 1873) in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
                                  (died 21 April 1948) in Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia.
                                  (married 27 December 1897) in Rockhampton, Australia.
                                  (spouse - Emma Naylor).

Albert Edward Petfield (born 13 March 1875) in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
                                   (died 14 August 1951) in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
                                   (married 23 May 1899) in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
                                   (spouse - Kate Toomey).

William Henry Petfield (born 3 April 1877) in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
                                   (died 18 August 1904) in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
                                   (married 19 December 1900) in Petrie Tce, Brisbane.
                                   (spouse - Ellen (Nellie) Ash).

Mary Ann (Polly) Petfield (born 2 May 1879) in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
                                   (died 15 November 1958) in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
                                   (married 26 December 1900) in Paddington, Brisbane, Australia
                                   (spouse - Ebenezer Adsett).

Esther Petfield (born 15 March 1881) in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
                                   (died at 16 years on 28 September 1897, buried at Toowong
                                   Cemetery) in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

George Petfield (born 2 May 1883) in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
                                    (died 6 June 1953) in Redcliffe, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
                                    (married 17 May 1911) in Kennedy Tce Methodist Church,
                                    Paddington, Brisbane, Queensland,
                                    (spouse - Frances Emily Brighouse).

Henrietta (Ettie) Petfield (born 6 June 1885) in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
                                    (died 10 September 1937) in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
                                    (married 7 November 1917) in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
                                    (spouse - William Coles).

Arthur Petfield (born 7 October 1888) in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
                                   (died 20 June 1974) in Redcliffe, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
                                   (married 1 January 1912) in South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
                                   (spouse - Florence  Jane Mott).

Edward and Mary Petfield and their 7 children left London on 5 November 1887 on the 3013 Ton Steam Ship "The Duke of Sutherland", arriving in Brisbane 3 January 1888 (under the command of Captain Cox).  There were about 700 passengers on board with one man was lost overboard on the trip to Australia.  Arthur was born in Brisbane 7 October 1888.


Edward & Mary Petfield. Photo taken 1904. 
This photo is hanging in the home of Glen Petfield. Mary is holding a photograph of her daughter Esther who died in 1898 aged 16.  William does not survive the year - he died 18 August 1904.

To identify the persons in the photo is difficult.
The 6 men across the back - Ebenezer Adsett, Arthur Petfield, Albert  (Bert) Edward Petfield, George Petfield, William Henry Petfield, John (Jack) Mason Petfield.

The women and children - Kate Petfield with children Harrold Edward Petfield and Esther Petfield, Father Edward Petfield, Mary Ann (Polly) Adsett with Cecil Adsett, Henrietta (Ettie) Petfield, Mother Mary Petfield, Ellen Petfield with children Dorothy Violet Petfield and Elsie Muriel Petfield, Emma Petfield with John Naylor Petfield.

Edward Petfield 5 June 1850 - 12 October 1918.

Mary Petfield (nee Mason) 24 August 1851 - 14 May 1936.
Glen Petfield and Debbie Hawley (with the help of many other contributors) prepared a book for release at the Petfield reunion in September 1999 in Brisbane - "The Australian Petfield Family 1888 - 1999".  It was 111 years after the first Petfield family came to Australia in 1888.  More about Edward and Mary Petfield in a moment.

Rev.Bruce Petfield came from Bridlington, England for the reunion and to meet many Petfields in Australia. His interest to connect with his Australian Petfield family was sparked by visits to England by Colin and Isabelle Petfield, Edna Petfield and her daughter Anne Moutrie.

Joy Olney and Dawn Juddery came from Melbourne - descendants of Allan & Wyn Petfield.


Dawn Juddery, Gladys & Harold Cartwright, Joy Olney - September 1999.

Dawn Juddery, Gladys Cartwright, Joan Davey, Joy Olney - September 1999.
Although early Petfield records indicate Births and Marriages around South Cave and Hull were Anglican, it is a fact that many of the Sheffield Petfields were married in the Methodist Church.

Edward and Mary Petfield were married on 1 April 1872 at the Pye Bank Methodist Chapel in Sheffield, England. We do know that the early Petfield families in Brisbane were greatly involved in the Methodist Church and its activities.  Edward Petfield was the Treasurer of the Latrobe Terrace Methodist Church.  Many of the men played cricket in the Church team and members of the Order of Knights. Some of the girls were members of Girls Comrades and Rays. Many lifelong frienships were made resulting in matrimony.     


Latrobe Terrace Methodist Church.
Edward Petfield (1850 - 1918) was recorded on his marriage certificate as a Joiner. Ada Petfield (Edward's sister) and George Mason (Mary's father) witnessed the marriage. Edward's father John Petfield was recorded as being a Wheelwright and Mary's father George as being a Stag Seals Cutter.
In the 1881 English Census Edward is shown as aged 30, a Joiner employing three men.  He is believed to have played cricket for the Yorkshire Team.

Notices which appear in the "Times" on 16 September 1885 reported the bandruptcy of Edward Petfield, Joiner and Wheelwright of Sheffield.

Death of Edward Petfield - 12 October 1918.
From a Brisbane Newspaper clipping:
"Death claimed on Saturday last, after four years illness, the second oldest resident of that part of Paddington, which now clusters around the tram sheds.  The gentleman in question was Mr.Edward Petfield, whose fine physique and finer mental and moral characteristics were the admiration of all who knew him.  He was born in Sheffield 68 years ago and settled down with his wife and six children in Lower Terrace, Paddington some 20 years ago.  He was one of those who helped to extend the city westwards from what is known as Cooks Hill, abutting on Enoggera Terrace at the terminus of the Red Hill tramway line.  The funeral, which took place on Monday was largely attended and beautiful wreaths also testified to the esteem in which the desceased gentleman was held.  The late Mr.Petfield at one time was the Treasurer of Latrobe Terrace Primative Methodist Church.  The Rev.Dr.Stewart who conducted the funeral service spoke feelingly of the loss the community had sustained".  

Mary Petfield (nee Mason) 24 August 1851 - 14 June 1936.
It is believed that John Mason (Mary's Grandfather) lived at Rodney Farm, Whitley Wood and his father was a Farmer at Tinsley, now a suburb of Sheffield, England.  The family then moved to Bentsgreen, Sheffield.

John Mason's son George Mason was a Stag Seals Cutter working in Sheffield and lived in Bridge Street. George Mason and Anne Richardson married approximately 1850.  They had seven children -Mary Mason born 24 August 1851, William (Willy) Mason born 1857/58, Arthur Mason born 1860, Sarah Anne Mason, Lizzie Mason, George Mason and John Mason.

William (Willy) Mason died 11 January 1877 at the age of 19 and was buried at Burngreave Cemetery in Sheffield, England.

Arthur Mason was born 1860 and married Mary Hobbis (born 1859)  They had eleven children - Lucy born 1892, Ernest born 1898, Samuel Cecil born 1900, Sidney born 1902, Bertha Eveline, Mary Elizabeth, Willy, Arthur, Esther, Wilfred and Frank.

More on the Family of Edward and Mary Petfield - 

the first Petfield family to immigrate to Australia in 1888. 

John Mason Petfield, born 14 June 1873 in Sheffield, England. In 1889 John was Apprenticed as a Blacksmith at the Brisbane Shipyards. John later worked for Mt.Morgan Gold Mining Co as a Foreman Blacksmith. John married Emma Naylor (born 23 August 1873) on 27 December 1897 at Rockhampton, Queensland. They had one child - John Naylor Petfield (born 1 May 1900). In 1908 Jack was transferred to Port Kembla in New South Wales to erect the Electrolytic Refining and Smelting Co. He retired in 1939 after working for this company for 31 years. John Petfield passed away at his residence  in Woolongong, New South Wales on 21 April 1948.

Albert Edward Petfield, born 13 March 1875 in Sheffield, England.  Albert married Kate Toomey (born 1876) on 23 May 1899 in Brisbane. They had two children - Edward Harold Petfield (born 30 December 1899)  and Esther Petfield (born 19 December 1901). Albert worked in the Queensland Railways for forty six years.  Albert (Bert) died on 14 August 1951 in Brisbane.

William Henry Petfield, born 3 April 1877 in Sheffield, England. William married Ellen (Nellie) Ash (born 30 April 1876) on 19 December 1900 at Petrie Terrace Baptist Church, Brisbane.  William and Nellie had two daughters - Dorothy Violet Petfield (born 29 October 1901) and Elsie Muriel Petfield (born 20 April 1903). William was a Bootmaker and worked at the Boot factory at Paddington.  Sadly, William died on 18 August 1904 aged 27 after two years of illness with T.B., believed caused from his work at the factory. After William Petfield died Ellen married John Knowles and had another three children.

Mary Ann (Polly) Petfield, born 2 May 1879 in Sheffield, England. Polly married Ebenezer Adsett (born 1 September 1875) at Paddington on 26 December 1900. Ebenezer grew up in Paddington and commenced his working life at Finney Isles & Co in the woollen and men's mercery departments. He established his own tailoring business, E.Adsett & Co. in the Valley, where he remained until his retirement in 1931. Ebenezer was troubled with Asthma all his life, hence was small in stature. He was a Deacon and Lay Preacher at Eagle Junction Congregational Church and the Sunday School Superintendent for twenty years. He was involved with the establishment of Marsden Home for Boys.
The George and Arthur Petfield families were particularly close with the Adsett family. Ebenezer and Polly had four children - Cecil Adsett (born 27 August 1902) did not marry and died of ill health at the age of twenty seven in 1930. Charles Edward Adsett (born 3 June 1906), Norman Arthur Adsett (born 21 September 1911), Estelle Mary Adsett (born 27 July 1919). Polly passed away November 1958.

George Petfield, born 2 May 1883 in Sheffield, England. George lived with his parents and siblings in Warmington Street, Paddington, attended Milton State School and Latrobe Terrace Methodist Church.  On 17 May 1911 George married Frances Emily Brighouse (born 2 October 1884). George was a builder and built his own family home in 1919 at 115 Rockbourne Terrace, Paddington. He also owned and operated the Wilston Bus Company with his brother-in-law Cecil Brighouse. His brother Arthur Petfield also drove buses on the Wilston Run to the city. The two brothers, George and Arthur Petfield built a holiday house next door to each other in Bank Street, Margate. Many happy family holidays were spent at Margate. The family worshipped at Kennedy Terrace Methodist Church in Paddington. George was active with Order of Rechabites, Order of Knights and the Church cricket team as a player and umpire, while Emily sang in the choir, active in the Ladies Guild and did lots of cooking for cake stalls. George and Emily Petfield had three children - Allan Edward Petfield (born 12 July 1912), Gladys Penelope Petfield (born 29 June 1915) and Joan Mavis Petfield (born 8 September 1917). George died from a heart attack on 6 June 1953 at Margate.  Emily died 18 September 1975 from Breast Cancer.

Henrietta (Ettie) Petfield, born 6 June 1885 in Sheffield, England. Ettie was said to be a gentle sole and well loved within the family.  She was the bridesmaid at George and Arthur Petfield's weddings. Ettie worked at a children's home in Cooparoo, Brisbane. Ettie married William Coles (born 27 June 1872) on 7 November 1917 at the age of 32 years. She became the mother of Ivy Coles (Willam's 7 year old daughter)  who was partially deaf and had trouble speaking. Ettie died on 12 September 1937.  Ivy married, but no known descendents.

Arthur Petfield, born 7 October 1888, nine months after the family arrived in Australia. Arthur worked as a carpenter, building many houses in Paddington and Margate. Arthur married Florence Jane Mott (born 9 November 1887) at St.Andrews Church in South Brisbane on 1 January 1912. Arthur Petfield was an Air Raid Warden in WW2. He was a Trustee at the Latrobe Terrace Methodist Church and a keen cricketer. Arthur built their family home in Ellena Street, Paddington and lived there for many years.  Arthur and Florence raised 4 sons - Arthur Henry Petfield (born 10 September 1912), Ernest Edward Petfield (born 28 May 1916), Colin David Petfield (born 14 April 1919) and Ronald Leopold Petfield (born 7 July 1922). In retirement Arthur and Florence lived at the Margate house and spent time fishing on the Margate beach.  Flo Petfield passed away on 12 April 1968 at 80 years old.  Arthur Petfield died on 20 June 1974 aged 84 years.


 Edward & Mary Petfield's Family Bible.


Family Register

Births

Marriages

Deaths

Edward and Mary Petfield in their senior years.
Death Certificate of Edward Petfield 12 October 1918.
Death Certificate of Mary Petfield 14 May 1936.
Death Notice for Edward Petfield and the Petfield Family Grave at Toowong Cemetery, Brisbane.

The Australian branch of the Petfield family are honoured to have in safe keeping Matthew & Ruth Petfield's family Bible.

It is interesting to note how that all came about.  Matthew Petfield (1773 - 1855) married Ruth Jackson (1783 - 1860) in 1803Matthew was the Grandfather of Edward Petfield who came to Australia in 1888
Matthew Petfield's brother George Petfield (1771 - 1860) married firstly Lydia Pickrin in 1796 until her death in 1809, and secondly Martha Jackson in 1810 until her death in 1865. 
Martha Jackson and Ruth Jackson were sisters
George and Martha Petfield had a son Edward Petfield (1835 - 1875).  Edward Petfield married Anne Petfield (nee Fenton), the widow of his cousin Charles Petfield (1824 - 1871) in 1873.
Louise (Petfield) Coates (1866 - 1944), the daughter of Charles and Anne Petfield and subsequently the step-daughter of Edward and Anne Petfield had safely keep the family Bible of her Grandparents Matthew & Ruth Petfield. 
Louise Coates gave the Petfield Family Bible to Bruce Le Gay Petfield, who in 2007 gave it to Glen Petfield when he visited England. Glen has made a glass display box and any Petfield's are welcome to view it.

Matthew & Ruth Petfield's family Bible.
Matthew Petfield's Bible - 1794.  Was it given to him on his 21st birthday?

Matthew & Ruth Petfield's family Bible

Matthew & Ruth Petfield's Family Bible.
Transcription from the Petfield Family Bible.
Matthew Petfield register of birth 28 July 1775.
Joseph Petfield register of birth 2 March 1773.

Matthew and Ruth Petfield married 24 November 1803.

Register of children:
Mary was born 16 April 1805.
William was born 20 August 1807.
Elizabeth was born 16 March 1809.
Ann was born 7 November 1811.
John was born 3 December 1873.
Jane was born 25 September 1815.
Maria was born 12 January 1818.
Maria departed this life 13 November 1818.
George was born 29 March 1820.
Charles was born 21 April 1824. Died September 1871.
Matthew was born 27 June 1826.
Elizabeth died 14 August 1827 18 years.
Mathew died 7 October 1853 27 years.

Matthew Petfield died 11 November 1855.
Ruth Petfield died 5 December 1860.

It is interesting to note that it is Matthew Petfield (double T) in the Family Bible, Matthew (double T) on his headstone, Mathew (single T) in his Will  and Glen spells Mathew with a single T  in his book.
Son Matthew was born with double T, and died Mathew with a single T!


I acknowledge and give credit to the work and contributions of Bruce Petfield on the U.K. Petfields,  to Glen Petfield on his work in the book "The Australian Petfield Family 1888 - 1999", and to Anne Moutrie for all her family research.

These blogs have been written by Joy Olney as another way of sharing the Petfield family history with those interested.  They do not cover all branches.  My interest primarily is with my direct line from William and Mary Petfield.

If you have anything to add or corrections that need to be made, please contact Joy Olney (nee Petfield) by email - joyolney@gmail.com